Skip to main content

Twitch’s new Partner Plus tier outlines what it takes to get a 70 / 30 revenue sharing split

Twitch’s new Partner Plus tier outlines what it takes to get a 70 / 30 revenue sharing split


The new tier will officially launch in October.

Share this story

Twitch logo
Illustration by Nick Barclay / The Verge

Twitch is introducing a new “Partner Plus” program that will give streamers an increased 70 percent of the share of their subscription revenues — up to the first $100,000 brought in each year — with Twitch taking the other 30 percent.

Most partnered streamers receive 50 percent of their subscription revenues, though Twitch had negotiated 70 / 30 deals with some of the platform’s biggest streamers until last fall when it announced that those deals would eventually get this same $100,000 cut-off. The new program doesn’t seem to change those “premium subscription terms,” but it could give many more streamers access to the higher split.

In a September blog post, Twitch president Dan Clancy wrote that the company hadn’t offered premium agreements to new streamers who didn’t already have them for over a year and that for 90 percent of the streamers who had the higher split, it wouldn’t affect them “at their current revenue level.”

On Twitch, streamers have access to a much larger pool of viewers and subscribers, but streamers had pushed for the service to introduce a 70 / 30 split for all, especially considering the competition. Meta is taking no subscription cut through the rest of 2023 across Facebook and Instagram, including Facebook Gaming, while YouTube Gaming offers a 70 / 30 split on “fan funding” like memberships and superchats. Kick, a newer competitor that launched in January, advertises a 95 / 5 split on subscription revenue.

Twitch streamers will need to keep a sub count of at least 350 “recurring paid subscriptions for three consecutive months” to qualify for the program, the company’s chief monetization officer Mike Minton and chief content officer Laura Lee said in Twitch’s blog post.

Once you meet that benchmark, the execs say you’ll be automatically enrolled for the next 12 months, “even if you dip below the subscription threshold during the 12-month period.” (Free subscriptions given to Amazon Prime members do not count toward qualifying for the Partner Plus tier, according to the FAQ.) After you earn $100,000 in subscription revenues, your split will be reduced to the standard 50 / 50.

The program is set to launch on October 1st, and if you meet the criteria in July, August, and September, you’ll be enrolled in October.

Twitch is rolling out the program shortly after angering much of its community with new ad rules that would have hurt streamers, charities, and brands. It reversed the planned rules a day after announcing them.

Update June 15th, 1:51PM ET: Added additional information about revenue sharing splits.