The fall tech season is in full swing, with Apple announcing new Watches and iPads, Sony announcing pricing for the PlayStation 5, and Facebook revealing a sequel to its standalone Oculus headset.
The week on The Vergecast, Verge health reporter Nicole Wetsman joins co-hosts Nilay Patel and Dieter Bohn to discuss the newly announced Apple Watch Series 6 and its blood oxygen monitoring feature. Nicole explains how the feature works, how accurate it might be, and what purpose a blood oxygen meter might serve on a wrist-worn gadget.
Verge news editor Chaim Gartenberg also joins the show to talk about the various other announcements from this week, including Apple’s new iPad Air, Apple’s new subscription bundle, the PS5’s $499 price tag, and what happened at Facebook and Oculus’ big AR / VR event.
We were able to cram all of this news and more in about an hour, so listen here or in your preferred podcast player to stay informed on this week in technology news, curated by The Verge.
More stories from this episode:
- Apple Watch’s blood oxygen monitor is for ‘wellness,’ not medicine
- Apple is creating a fitness subscription service called Fitness Plus
- The new Apple Watch Series 6 has blood oxygen monitoring
- The Apple Watch Series 6: first impressions of a very good smartwatch
- The Apple Watch SE is a new lower-cost Watch
- New Apple Watches won’t have a USB power adapter in the box
- Family Setup lets you manage multiple Apple Watches from one iPhone
- There’s a new iPad Air that looks a lot like an iPad Pro
- The updated eighth-generation iPad has a familiar design but a new processor
- New Apple One subscription bundles pack multiple services together
- Nvidia is acquiring Arm for $40 billion
- The PS5 will launch on November 12th for $499.99
- PS5 Digital Edition launches November 12th for $399.99
- Connect 7: All the news from Facebook and Oculus’ big VR / AR event
- Oculus Quest 2 review: better, cheaper VR
- Oculus’ new Quest 2 VR headset starts at $299 and ships October 13th
- Mark Zuckerberg on why he doesn’t want to ‘put an Apple Watch on your face’
- Google to launch Pixel 5, new Chromecast, and smart speaker on September 30th
- Oracle reportedly wins deal for TikTok’s US operations as ‘trusted tech partner’
- Trump decision on Oracle TikTok looms ahead of Sunday deadline, deal would include Walmart