It would be an interesting experiment to go back in time three or four years and inform your earlier self that — guess what? — you’re probably going to be working from home soon, and there’s a good chance that it may be a permanent change.
The Verge’s Guide to working from home
Stories and advice on settling into remote work
Since the pandemic lockdowns of early 2020, many people have remained working from home. In the time since then, people have moved out of commuting distance from their offices or have not yet decided it was comfortable to return to a crowded office — or simply decided they liked working from home. And many businesses have changed their policies to accommodate their employees.
But working from home, especially on a regular basis, means accommodating the needs of your workday. In this guide, we look at the various issues that have arisen as people settle into these circumstances. This can include dealing with family (and especially kids), avoiding distractions and Wi-Fi disasters, how the shift to working from home has changed America’s energy usage, how to look your best for that inevitable video conference, and which video conferencing app to use.
In other words, we’ve put together a group of articles to help you make working from home the best experience possible.
How DeskTube reinvented my home office and solved the YouTube algorithmDavid Pierce
The flagship podcast of pocketable solar panelsAndrew Marino
The first step: accept your distractibilityJoe Stanganelli
Some ideas from the parents on our staffBarbara Krasnoff
- How to troubleshoot your home’s Wi-Fi
- Things we’ve learned working from home
- How to look your best on a video call
- The uneven energy costs of working from home
- Desk setup videos have taken over YouTube — and my life
- The Verge’s favorite tools to stay organized
- Vergecast Work From Home: sailboats, solar generators, and Starlink
- How to minimize distractions when you work from home
- How to work from home when your internet goes out
- How to keep your kids busy while you work from home
- The best free apps for video calling