Childish Gambino releases 'Because the Internet'
- “The Boy’s Room” is one of the many settings in both "Clapping for the Wrong Reasons" and Because the Internet. This is where The Boy, Glover's avatar, interacts with his friends and does his best trolling online. According to Tumblr's Nate Auerbach, the installation itself is an invitation into Glover's creative mind.
- The Boy's bed attempts to show the chaotic nature of the web and how it overlays the character's identity. The portrait above it flickers back and forth between a photo of Glover and a remix of the same image. Artist Brian Roettinger wanted to convey the points of "transition" that the character experiences throughout the album in the artwork.
- The Boy's immersion in the web is juxtaposed with his collection of literature and soul albums. Glover has never shied away from the fact that he's nerdy, and listeners can hear the soul influence in the album.
- "Roscoe's Wetsuit" appears again and again throughout the screenplay. Its meaning is never made clear, but the reader gets the sense that it's a kind of IRL hashtag whose meaning The Boy is trying to decipher. Glover made a habit of tweeting it this summer, leaving fans both confused and captivated.
- Glover collaborated with Tumblr to make the Rough Trade installation and TriBeCa mansion party happen.
- This teddy bear, a symbol of Gambino's childishness, shows up prominently in the video for the album's lead single, 3005.
- Childish Gambino performing in front of a packed room.
- Glover was one of many using his phone during the performance.
- Glover was accompanied by a live band as he performed a selection of tracks from the new album.