With the holidays upon us and the end of the year approaching fast, it’s a good time to take stock of the books you might have been meaning to read all year. Cyber Monday is an ideal time to add to your reading list, whether you listen to audiobooks or read eBooks or physical ones.
Most booksellers are offering up some sort of deal, no matter what your tastes. Here’s what you can find online.
Amazon, of course, has a number of Cyber Monday deals this holiday season, but don’t forget that the site started out as a bookstore. The site is marking down some select books — some up to 60 percent off throughout the weekend.
The Prime Book Box for Kids is $19.99 , and buying on Cyber Monday will credit $10 to your Amazon account
Amazon is also marking down a number of its tablets and e-readers, if you’re in the market for a new one:
- Fire 7 Kids Edition tablet is $69.99 (usually $99.99)
- Fire HD 8 Kids Edition tablet is $89.99 (usually $129.99)
- Fire HD 10 Kids Edition tablet is $149.99 (usually $199.99)
Fire HD 10 tablet is $99.99 (usually $149.99) Fire HD 8 tablet will be $49.99 (usually $79.99) Fire HD 8 tablet with Show Mode dock will be $79.99 (usually $119.99) Fire HD 10 tablet with Show Mode dock will be $144.99 (usually $209.98) Kindle Paperwhite (previous generation) will be $79.99 (usually $119.99)
If audiobooks are your thing, Audible is offering up three months at $6.95 (53 percent off) and 20 percent off the first 3 months of the Audible Romance Package for new customers. The store is also holding its Treat Yourself Sale, with a select group of titles going or $4.95. If you buy four, you’ll get a $5 coupon.
Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble will be offering signed editions from 250 different authors, ranging from the likes of Kim Stanley Robinson’s Red Moon, to astronaut Scott Kelly’s Infinite Wonder: An Astronaut’s Photographs from a Year in Space to Tomi Adeyemi’s Children of Blood and Bone. Copies
It’s also marking down its e-readers: Nook 10.1” Tablet will be $119.99 (usually $129.99) Nook GlowLight 3 will be $89.99 (usually $119.99) Nook Samsung Tab A Nook 7” will be $99.99 (usually $129.99)
Barnes & Noble isn’t the only retail chain out there. Books-A-Million is offering discounts if you spend a certain amount ($10 off for $50; $20 off for $100; and $50 off $200.) It’s also offering some autographed editions, although its selection isn’t as robust as Barnes & Noble’s. You can pick those up at buy one, get one 50 percent off.
Amazon and B&N have their own e-readers on sale, but there’s some other models available as well, according to Good eReader. Notably, the Onyx Max2 is discounted, while Sony is marking $100 off its Digital Paper models.
Publishers & Small Presses
Some major publishers sell books directly through their on websites.
- Simon & Schuster set up its own gift guide section, with buyers able to take 25 percent off (along with free shipping) with the code HOLIDAY18.
- Harper Collins has listed a couple of good deals — discounts on geek books, boxed sets, and more.
There are also a number of small presses that are holding their own sales this holiday season:
- Apex Book Company is marking down its offerings by 50 percent.
- Tachyon Publications will be holding its own sale, giving customers 20 percent off all orders over $25 or more (although this excludes their limited edition books and both commemorative The Last Unicorn: The Lost Journey editions) with the coupon code HAPPY20, which expires on December 13th.
- Small Beer Press will be marking off 50 to 70 percent on their backlist titles, with free media mail rate shipping anywhere in the US.
- The Folio Society, which publishes high-end editions of classic books, is taking 15 percent off certain series and sets (along with a free gift).
- Serial Box, which publishes serialized fiction online via subscription, has two gift offerings this season — you can gift a serial to someone as a digital bundle, or you can send them a gifted serial along with a pin and a printed card for an additional $7. The company will also be slashing 40 percent off of its serials on Black Friday.
If you’re looking for ideas for what to read, we’ve got plenty of reviews and lists of new books here.