More than 70 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 batteries have overheated in the US

More than 70 Galaxy Note 7 smartphones have overheated due to defective batteries in the United States alone, the Canadian government has indicated, double the number of worldwide incidents the company had previously reported. The last time Samsung offered figures on its ongoing Note 7 problems, on September 1st, it claimed that it had received 35 notifications of battery malfunctions globally — reports that prompted it to suspend sales of the device, and to issue a global recall of handsets already sold.

The new figure was released by Canadian government safety association Health Canada, in partnership with Samsung, in a bid to prompt Canadian Note 7 owners into returning their potentially dangerous devices. Presumably these US reports count among their number several cases of exploding phones that have hit the news recently, including a Note 7 blamed for destroying a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Florida, and another believed to be the cause of a garage fire in South Carolina. Reports continue to tumble in from across the US about unfortunate souls affected by the malfunctioning phones — the New York Post reported that a six-year-old boy suffered burns to his hands earlier this week when a Note 7 exploded as he was using it — but Health Canada says there has only been one reported incident in Canada so far.


I wonder if any of these fires were accidental and unrelated to the note 7, but then the property owner tossed his note 7 in the fire and was like, yep, the phone did it.

Don’t try to download how big of a safety problem this is.

Besides, any insurance investigator can easily tell if the phone was then source.

Theoretical question:

If you took a butane lighter and lit your dashboard on fire, and then set your phone next to the lighter. How would they know if the phone ignited first or the butane?

The burn pattern would not be consistent with a lithium battery exploding and you would have butane residue.

Except the lithium battery would burn in the fire and the butane would also be released anyway creating a butane burn pattern

No reply.. you stumped em. Stumped em good.

Fire investigators would know there was an accelerant (butane fuel) that is different than one such as a lithium ion battery.

My safety problem is buffering…

FYI… The 6 year old suffered burns from a Galaxy Core phone… Not a Note 7…

And that makes this better how exactly?

Because facts are important and they help to solve problems. Or I dunno, maybe avoid them as well.

You’re joking right?

So you want to factor a different series phone into the Note 7? Some iPhones have exploded to, you want to group those under the Note 7?

By specifying which phone he was hurt by. I didn’t even know any other Samsung phones were having issues. All that’s been constantly reported on was the Note 7.

I called Samsung to return mine…a week ago. Still don’t have a return label. Note 7 is still sitting in my home. I’m out of town.

Hopefully, I don’t return to a smoldering foundation. I want this thing out of my house and they won’t take it back yet. Not sure what the holdup is…actually, I do (Digital River, I bought direct from DR is a horrible, outdated company and needs to be gone. Samsung should take it’s order processing/fulfillment in-house ASAP. This has been a logistic disaster so far. 300 billion dollar company and they can’t even send a UPS label. Never buy anything from their website direct. Go to a carrier and spend your money. At least you can show up and someone will help you with a loaner or something.

I thought the problem only happened when rapid charging so I assume you’re safe as long as you don’t. I’m not totally sure, though.

According to the reports, the incident with the 6 year-old boy happened while the phone was unplugged.

wasn’t a Galaxy Note though, if it matters

If that’s true, neither the parents nor Samsung can be blamed. It must be a faulty battery and some bad luck.

  1. Someone reported falsely that it was a Galaxy Note – so either the NY Post or the parents are to blame for that.
  2. Could be battery was defective or the phone suffered abuse. Based on my experience with nieces and nephews,, I’m leaning towards the latter. Any phone battery can catch fire if the phone is abused – plenty of examples from all makes, just Google

Sure, a young child can be rough on a phone, but are you suggesting that they were able to puncture the battery? I guess it’s possible, but that is an odd scenario to bet on.
Battery failures can happen. Jumping to blame the child is just a low move.

You don’t have to puncture the battery. People have dropped, fallen down or sat on their phones in their back pockets and the battery caught on fire (and these were not Samsung phones). It’s just stress causing a short circuit.

Children are pretty destructive, man.

If you want to make extra sure, just discharge the battery and leave it turned off until you replace it.

View All Comments
Back to top ↑